Dear Oliver

Dear Oliver,

It has been awhile since I have written to you.

I have so many emotions about that. I think about you every second of every day. I talk about you every day. I wake up thinking about you, I go to bed thinking about you. None of that has changed.

__________________________________________________________________________

They say there are five stages of grief:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

For your first 5 years plus our pregnancy - I bounced between the first three stages. How could this have happened? Why did this happen? I prayed for you -- what did I do to deserve this? I was thankful and grateful for you - despite the fact that we are not physically together. I would dream that you were still alive, here - with me, just to wake up without you. I would cry - but also smile thinking of how beautiful you are. You made me a mother - you made us a family. 

The fourth stage - depression - that hit this past year. Hard. I have been so sad - because it has taken that long to really set in - I am not getting you back - not here, on Earth at least. That seems crazy to say - how would I think that you would come back to me? I am a mother - who lost their son - so my mind goes places it has never gone before. 

I went and saw someone on your 5th birthday. Someone special - who told me that you are with Uncle Ivan. They said you are safe with him and you both are so happy and healthy. What they also told me - is that you aren't coming back. That having another baby - wouldn't bring you back. I knew that to an extent. But - it took hearing that - that message from you through that person - for me to begin understand and accept it. 

After I saw that person - I felt a weight lifted off of me, like I was finally able to catch a breath. You were safe, you were with Uncle Ivan. I felt that from that meeting - that I knew you felt how much love I have for you. I kept replaying that over and over. It took me awhile to process all of the information I received that day. 

After that - it's been that stage for me. I have been silently mourning you - keeping that to myself. I have distanced myself, and closed part of myself off. I haven't been able to find the strength to share that with everyone else - as I have in the past. 

Tonight, I sit here - deciding that it was time to share you - to share us again. 

A fellow mother recently lost her daughter. She shared her daughter and their story - and it reminded me of us. It reminded me why I shared our story - because together, those who have experienced this pain - can help one another - when they are in their silent struggle. That their stories, their feelings, their sadness, their happiness, their journey - is something we can relate to. And by sharing all of that, we can help each other along this journey. 

Oliver, you were with me for 34 weeks and 5 days. I prayed for you. I held you, kissed you, snuggled you. You taught me what true love is. You made me a mother, and set me on this path of motherhood. You have been with me every day since then - and I am so thankful for you. 

I don't know that I will ever truly get to stage five - and if I do, I am preparing myself to likely start the stages all over again. I do know - that with God, you, your siblings, your father - and all of our family - that I am not alone, and that I have the support I need to continue on this journey. 

I love you Oliver, more and more everyday. 
My love continues to grow for you. 
You are my sweet baby angel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Time

This is not what I pictured