Home Birth: Opal Maize

Opal Maize was born at 12:59pm on April 19th 2016. 

However, the journey to labor started days before this. 

Once I hit 40 weeks - I was frustrated and not sure why I was still pregnant. This was baby number 3. Having to remind myself that 42 weeks is acceptable to go up to. Was I holding in a fear? Was I too stressed to allow my body to go into labor? Who knew. 

I did a fear release meditation, birth imagery meditation and prayed a lot about welcoming Opal earth side. 

At my appointment - I was 40 weeks and 1 day. I asked for a membrane sweep to be done. I was about 3-4cm dilated. 

No change after that appointment. Got a pedicure on the weekend - hoping the massage would hit the pressure points to induce labor. Bounced on my birth ball, did squats, walked. Nothing. No sign. 

Sunday - I reached out to my midwives, as I woke up again crying that I was still pregnant. They said I could come in Monday for another sweep. 

Monday morning I also made an appointment with a chiropractor - recommended by my midwife. I had never been to a chiropractor before. I was hesitant - but wanted to birth my baby - so I scheduled. 

10:30am - sweep by my midwife. I was still the same dilation - which was a little frustrating - but I knew that could change in an instant. 

Right after that I went next door to the chiropractor. My appointment lasted about an hour. I felt like jelly coming out of that appointment. It was awesome! My hips felt loose and I knew I needed to nap. So that's what I did. Jaxin was at school and Olive was with my mom - so I took advantage and went home to nap. 

Fast forward to 10pm that night. My dog was at my parents house and my mom was sleeping over to help with the kids. I was using the birth ball and painting my nails. I decided to use the breast pump to see if that would bring on contractions. I had felt some pains here and there and thought maybe that would encourage my body. About 15 minutes of that and I felt contractions or "surges" come on. I text my midwife - "go to sleep now" was her response. I went to bed and woke up at 11pm with a surge. 

At this point I decided to let my mom know and I got in the shower. 

The surges ranged from 3min to 10min apart. I put my headphones in and listened to my Hypnobirthing meditation. I tried to sleep in between the surges - but laying flat wasn't an option. So the recliner or couch were the options. 

I called my midwife around 2am to let her know and would call her back in about an hour if they got more consistent or intense. I had some oatmeal and tried to sleep between. 

At 4:30am - the kids woke up looking for me and my mom. I laid back down with Olive to get her to go back to sleep and my mom laid with Jaxin. 

At 5am I moved back out to the couch. Was either on all fours through the surges or laying my head on the couch in between to try and sleep. These were about 5min apart. 

At 6am - they were intense, tried to eat cereal. I needed to get in the shower and try and relax. I called my midwife, text my doula and birth photographer and my mom called my mother in law. 

My surges never were consistent at 5 min apart. They were still ranging from 3min to 6 min apart. 

Everyone arrived to my house around 8am. I was checked - about 5-6cm and my water bag was bulging. Thank God. I needed to know my body was progressing. 

After this point - it was a calm environment. The kids were there - involved. My mom made some eggs - I got to eat once more before Opal arrived. I was able to walk around, use the birth ball, have conversations and be with my kids.  

My dear friend and doula - was everything. She got the tub set up. Gave my mom and mother in law direction on boiling water. Really got things in gear.. My mom and mother in law were in charge of the kids. I didn't have to worry about anything other than me and Opal. Just how it should have been. 

At 11am I moved into the tub. I did not picture myself having a water birth - yet that's how it happened. Right before I got into the tub. I felt my Oliver. I felt him all over me and I just started crying. I missed him so much in that moment. 

The tub was a blur for me for the first hour or so. It was very intense. My Hypnobirthing went out the window and the loud noises came out. I remember looking at the clock. 12:24. I was done. I couldn't go any farther. I didn't want to. I was crying. I wanted her out. 

Transition. This was transition. My transition was directing my loud howls at Jenn's(doula) face, squeezing into her with my all of my strength and crying that I was done. That I couldn't anymore. 

She was born at 12:59pm. 41 weeks in my womb. Those last few minutes - the ring of fire - the pressure - absolutely the most intense sensations my body has ever felt and worked through.  

As soon as she was out and in my arms "I DID IT" "I DID IT MOM" !! 

I couldn't believe she was here. It was amazing and beautiful and so full of love. 

I am beyond grateful for everyone that was with me during her birth. All of that love and support - gave me the birth I longed for. My home birth - for our last baby - our beautiful Opal Maize. 

Opal is named after Oliver. His birthstone is Opal. Both my daughters hold a piece of their brother in their name and in their hearts. I know he held their hands on their journey in my womb and is watching over both of them now. 

Thank you to everyone for all the love, prayers ,positive vibes. Everything. It was one hell of a journey - but worth every second. 

Comments

  1. Midwife Michelle LOLMay 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is GOOD! Thank you for sharing your journey. It's as beautiful as you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

About Time

This is not what I pictured

Dear Oliver